Newton’s 1st Law of Motion – the Law of Inertia
“An object at rest stays at rest, and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction, unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.”
The heart-wrenching trauma of a violent massacre in a suburban American high school in Parkland, Florida – the “safest town in Florida” – on Valentine’s day 2018 that left 17 innocent heroic Americans dead MUST be the turning of the tides.
Gun Violence, specifically massacres in American schools, has to stop immediately.
Reading and watching the first-hand accounts of students, dads, moms, teachers in Parkland brought me to tears. It’s the most powerful instrument for prodding inert lawmakers into action and passing common sense gun laws.
There are no adequate words to express the anger I feel toward cement-headed GOP who rationalize away all legitimate arguments for stemming gun violence. Their indifference to the trauma they inflict is the ultimate testament to the fallout of their altered reality. The fact that it’s the GOP lawmakers who have succumbed to this strange and surreal existence in an imagined universe, lawmakers who directly influence our quality of life, is a forceful wake-up call for all of us. We don’t have to settle for this. We can make sure they’re REMOVED from office.
If the Berlin wall can fall, so can the NRA and the GOP. They are NOT a permanent barrier to gun safety.
The final straw for me yesterday, Thursday February 15, 2018, the day after the Parkland High School massacre, when all the first-hand stories began pouring onto Social Media, was the student who in the midst of the chaos and fear and mayhem, slipped on the bullet proof vest that his dad had stuffed into his backpack. THIS, in the safest community in Florida.
A decade ago, the only thing that mattered was making sure our children had an iPod. Then we elevated to making sure our child had his or her iPhone. Now parents are running out and buying bullet-proof vests for their child’s backpack. GOP, WAKE-UP! And worst of all, the student actually had to rush to use it one beautiful cheerful afternoon, February 14, 2018.
GOP lawmakers hide behind their protective security checks installed in every Legislative Office building in every state, making them immune to their own inertia. All security checks must come down until common sense gun laws are passed. GOP lawmakers don’t get to hide while we get slaughtered.
Of course we Americans can own guns. The majority are NOT against that. But as with everything since the beginning of time, gun ownership must evolve. The answer is in the middle.
COMMON SENSE GUN LAWS, one step at a time, in order:
(1) Immediate ban on assault rifles, specifically AR-15. This ban was in force for a decade, 1994-2004. The GOP allowed is to sunset during all the chaos following 9/11, the War in Iraq, the War in Afghanistan, and all eyes on Guantanamo. Senator Feinstein revived the ban, creating a new Bill on November 8, 2017. It’s collecting dust on a GOP desk somewhere. We MUST demand it be debated, passed and enforced.
(2) Firearm ownership must have appropriate safety protocols: training/education, testing, licensing, and mandatory insurance. There’s no reasonable argument that can block this. It’s rudimentary.
(3) Ban bump stocks. Rudimentary.
(4) Close all loopholes in existing gun laws. Rudimentary.
(5) Limit all magazines to 10 bullets or less. Rudimentary.
(6) Reverse GOP’s new concealed carry reciprocity. Unconstitutional.
(7) Gun violence research. New Trump administration canceled the existing Gun Violence research being conducted by CDC.
Done. Basic. Simple. Easy. We MUST Make America Safe Again!
Copyright 2017 – 2018. ALL Rights Reserved.