Washington (GGM) Analysis | April 20, 2021 by Sarah J. Kings
For years now, we have known that Keurig K-Cups are an environmental hazard. Made from plastic, these little cups are too small to be properly sorted by recycling centers and machines. Billions of K-Cups are piling up in landfills around the world, and many have been incinerated in Keurig’s program, Grounds to Grow On.
John Hocevar, of GreenPeace USA, said “coffee pods are one of the best examples of unnecessary single-use plastics that are polluting our planet”.
Heart of the matter. This past year was supposed to be Keurig’s year. After many cities banned commercial use of K-Cups, the brand promised that their products would be recyclable by the start of 2020. However, that promise has not been fulfilled, only replaced by an ambiguous delayed timeline of the “end of 2020.” They also promise to convert to a combination of 100% recyclable and compostable materials by 2025.
Until then, consumers can get their at home caffeine fix a more sustainable way: using a french press. According to eco-friendly resource and magazine, TenTree, the french press is the most environmentally friendly way to fuel your caffeine habit. Using a french press is less wasteful than traditional coffee pots, in that they do not use filters. The design is simple, and the process is easy: boil water, grind the beans, pour the water over the growns, and press.
Next Step: The result is a classic, fresh, and eco-friendly way to start your day! Now, make sure your coffee grounds are ethically and sustainably sourced– and pour your delicious elixir into a reusable mug– and you have just become an eco-pro!
- Keurig K-Cups are an environmental hazard
- Billions of K-Cups end up in landfills
- Keurig’s program, Grounds to Grow On, is responsible for incinerating the plastic cups
- “Coffee pods are one of the best examples of unnecessary single-use plastics that are polluting our planet.” – John Hocevar of GreenPeace USA
- A french press is the most environmentally friendly way to fuel your caffeine habit
- No coffee filters are needed & little every is used in the process
© Copyright 2018 – 2021. ALL Rights Reserved.